Monday, January 9, 2023

"Invitation only" background

Sundays are still the worst.

Made the more so by the church shopping.  So, yesterday wasn't as bad as the first, but it was pretty awful.

At the first church I tried yesterday, I got zero welcome, until, during the "greet someone near you" time, a ten-year-old kid thought it was hilarious to walk way over and "greet" me.  (I strongly suspect that he knows *exactly* what is going on, but he's too young to know the full implications.)  (Someone noticed him, and came over to "prove" that his joke wasn't the only welcome I was going to get, but scuttled away as quickly as humanly possible, and never talked to me again, even when he saw me after the service.)

They made a big deal about inviting everybody to stay for coffee.  So I went along.  As it happened, I was the second person from the service into the coffee area.  They had various coffee things laid out, but there was in fact, no coffee.  Or, rather, there was about a quarter of an inch of coffee left in the bottom of a carafe.  There was hot water to make tea: I managed to get about a third of a cup of hot water out of the carafe.

So then, among all the people who did not talk to me, someone came and asked me who had invited me.

I apologized, said that I hadn't realized that it was a private gathering, and left.

I had had a minor grief burst during the service, and had a really major one, over no trigger that I could determine, in the second church I visited.  I've had a lot of grief bursts during church services.  I suppose that they are supposed to be pretty emotional times, so I guess it's not surprising.  But fortunately, or unfortunately, but, in any case, interestingly, nobody has ever noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment