Friday, January 13, 2023

Small towns

I am remembering one of the things that bugs me about small towns.  Just because someone is marginally smarter than most of the population of [Your Home Town!], and has marginally more information than is absolutely required in their day-to-day existence, they feel that I should agree with them in their conspiracy theory of the day.

Argh.

And then there are those who, because some of my projects are starting to bear fruit, (and ignoring the fact that a number of the projects that I have started have sunk without a trace, as is usual: I am, in a sense an activity or idea "entrepreneur," and you have to start a number of projects and ideas, hoping to have one succeed) some people are getting annoyed that I, as the new kid in town, am succeeding, where they, who have been in town longer, are not succeeding.  Well, have you actually tried to do anything?  I am remembering that an awful lot of people in small towns are somewhat lazy.  Particularly intellectually lazy.  I hope I do not become so.  But I strongly suspect that it is a possibility.

And, recently, one of the residents of the town pointed out to me that it was a small town, and felt the need to pass along the importance of never saying anything bad about anybody, since whatever you say will eventually get back to the person you said it about.  Sorry, I'm used to being a big city boy, and having the fact that I am completely unimportant mean that I can say whatever I think.  I am not looking forward to having to watch my tongue for the rest of my life.  I suppose I can say whatever I feel like here, since it's unlikely that anybody in [Your Home Town!] is going to consider it important to check out my blog, and for all of you who are reading this, all two of you, it's unlikely to get back to anybody in [Your Home Town!].

No comments:

Post a Comment