Monday, December 12, 2022

Snow


Yet another dump of snow last night.  Mostly between 1 and 3 AM.

There was a pass down our parking lot, about 5:00 a.m. when I headed out, seemingly nobody was up yet.  I shoveled the walkway enough that my neighbors on either side could get out to the plowed strip down the middle, and shoveled both sides of my car, and far enough down the side of my nearest neighbor's car that she could get out and into it.

The temperature isn't as cold as it has been.  I'm pretty sure the temperature is above freezing, and the snow is definitely slushy.  In the ruts where cars have driven through the snow, there are definitely pools and rivers of standing water.  When I headed out, just about nobody had even started to shovel sidewalks, although I started to see some activity of clearing sidewalks as I got towards the end of my trip.  The plowing trucks have been down major routes, for at least one pass.  But most of the residential streets have no clearing at all, as yet, so I had to pick my roots carefully to even to walk down the streets to get to the library, and then to my first meeting.  I wonder if anybody will be showing up for the meeting: I'm pretty early, because I didn't know how long it was going to take to get here.  Then I've definitely got a second meeting, and I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to get there.  But that's the rehearsal for the Christmas play, and, from the indications of the last rehearsal, we very definitely need the practice.

With the warmer temperatures, and the indications of the snow melt that I've seen already, I suspect that this snow will not last as long as the last batch.  The indications at the library are that there's only two or three inches on the ground.  And they're periods of rain forecast over the next few days, so I suspect that the roads will be fairly clear within a couple of days. But, for the purposes of walking, I certainly hope that some clearance takes place before then.  If people will get out and shovel their sidewalks today, there's a good chance that they will be completely free and clear by tonight.  But it only takes one person in the block not shoveling their walk to make the sidewalk impassable, and then you have to walk on the road anyways, because there's no way to get from the sidewalk onto the road with the pile of snow that has been plowed off the road and to the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment