Tuesday, January 18, 2022

The scientific mind is not yet rested

 Gloria always thought I was intelligent, and knowledgeable, and interesting.  (Well, you can't *always* be right.)  She would often ask me, at random moments, "What are you thinking?" and she was so often intrigued at the answers, and considered me an example of the scientific mind: I was always thinking of *something*.  If this had been the other way around (and, frankly, I never expected to be doing this: I always figured that women live longer than men, and that her family lived longer than mine, so I figured that we'd be going pretty much together) she had an epitaph all picked out for me: the scientific mind is finally at rest.

(She told me that she had something for my eulogy all picked out, based on a tech geek quote I had in my email signature block quotes file:

If it's     there and you can   see it, it's real
If it's     there and you can't see it, it's transparent
If it's not there and you can   see it, it's virtual
If it's not there and you can't see it, it's *gone*

But she didn't write it out and leave it in the file, so I guess I'll never know what she wanted to do with it.)

So, I still shower in the morning, but I no longer have a tub and shower curtain: I have a shower enclosure, with a door.  And the bathroom is equipped with an automatic fan, that senses when there is moisture, and ramps up accordingly.  And I was thinking, as I got out of the shower, why does the fan always come on slightly after I get out of the shower?  After all, hot and moist air rises, and there is about a foot of opening above the shower enclosure, so why should it only be after I open the door that there is enough moist air to trigger the fan?  And then I realize that as soon as I open the door, the colder air, from outside, rushes in, and the hot, moist air in the shower enclosure rises, and that blast triggers the fan.

And who is there now to care about things like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment