Thursday, January 20, 2022

Changing sides

 I'm going to switch sides.

Of the bed.

I've always slept on the left side of the bed.  Even before Gloria and I got married, in my own place, I had the room set up so that I slept on the left side of the bed.  When we got married, Gloria slept on the right side of the bed, so, that made sense.  And, over the years, in the old place, it also made sense that, being on the right side of the bed made increasing sense for Gloria, as that was the shorter and quicker route to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  (You younguns won't understand this yet, but eventually you will.  As you age, regardless of how much sleep you want or need, eventually your bladder wakes you up every few hours.)

In the new place, that arrangement *would* have made even more sense, as the trip to the bathroom is even shorter from the right side of the bed.  But, of course, being a creature of habit (as all we human beings are), I set up on the left side of the bed.  Well, I no longer need to leave the right side for Gloria.  And it makes even more sense to switch when you consider that, given my particularly back alignment, it's best if I sleep, for the most part, on my left side.  When I'm sleeping on the left side of the bed, this means I'm facing into the middle of the bed, and have to roll over in order to see the clock, on the nightstand, to figure out if it's time to get up yet.  (Most of the time, these days, the answer to that question is "no," but, as you will note from the timestamp of this posting, after half an hour or an hour, the answer, regardless of the time, is also, "well, it's pointless to stay here any longer, so I might as well get up and do something.")  Switching sides, and nightstands, also means that, if the phone rings, it's much easier and quicker to lunge for it if *I* happen to be in the bathroom.

Switching nightstands will also force me to deal with the detritus left in Gloria's nightstand, which I've been able to ignore, up until now, by the expedient of simply ignoring it.  (It may, of course be as simple as switching drawers, since the nightstands are identical.)  Switching the phone and the clock over shouldn't be too arduous, and that's it.

But it's interesting that it has taken me this long to even consider this option.  And it's interesting that I have some reluctance, even now, and even in the face of all the logic of the move.  This is one more rejection and betrayal of Gloria, and her needs and choices, now that she's dead.

So, maybe I won't switch right now, but in the morning, when there is more light to move things by ...

No comments:

Post a Comment