Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Policies and procedures

 Everything is harder and takes longer than I expect.  I am inefficient.  (Yes, thank you, I am well aware that for forty years I have been annoying people with the hypothesis that efficiency is not the be-all and end-all of business success, and that the pandemic has finally proven my case, by demonstrating the seven decades of the relentless pursuit of "market efficiencies" and "trimming the fat" and "lean and mean" has meant that capitalism was completely unprepared for the pandemic, and the pandemic's impact on supply chains thoroughly demonstrated that "outsourcing" and "no margins" also meant no resilience.  I'm not talking about that level of efficiency, I'm talking about wasted effort.)

I have no procedures.  Nothing is automatic.  Anything I go to do, I have to check whether everything I need is in place.  (Some of that is because I don't know where K&L put a lot of stuff.  Not that they didn't help.  They did, and they did an amazing job--but nobody is perfect, particularly when it comes to predicting what somebody else will need, long before they need it.)

Everything I go to do, I also have to figure out why I am doing it.  Did we do this because Gloria wanted it so?  Or because it is really necessary?  And, if Gloria wanted it so, did she have a good reason for it?  (She usually did.  But her system of accounting, for example, was predicated on the requirement to prove to family court what level of support she needed.  I don't think I will need to prove anything to a divorce court any time in the near future.)

I also have a tendency to do everything as it presents itself, because I don't have any processes in place to "bring forward" items that I will need later.  I relied on Gloria for a lot of that, but there is also the fact that a whole bunch of work is looming over me, and I need to know that it gets done, so I might as well do it now, but that also means that I have to stop what I was doing, and so, possibly, lose the prep that I did for that.

1 comment:

  1. Rob, I am so sorry for the loss of your wife, Gloria. She sounded like an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete