Friday, April 22, 2022

Twitter takeover

Elon Musk has said that he wants to buy Twitter.  The Twitter Board is having cat fits, and has implemented a "poison pill" stock manipulation that would make it more difficult or expensive.

Right now, I don't care.

I should care.  Prior to Gloria's death, I would have cared quite a bit.  I used Twitter a lot, as a source of news.  Even checking immediate and local news.  It was a bit amazing, how quickly you could check on the results of hockey games (when Shaw's TV cable went down just before a close game ended), or traffic, or details of some earth-shaking event that was changing minute by minute.  (You had to know how to use it, of course.  Twitter is also full of the most appalling garbage ...)

Partly I don't care about news right now.  I still record the news (both the local and the national news) every night.  I just don't watch it very much.  Sometimes I watch the weather, and pretty much always I try to watch "Satellite Debris."  But I've lost patience with the repetitive round of stories, and the lack of analysis and detail.  I am reading Twitter a bit, to see if anything actually new does happen, but mostly it doesn't.

But I doubt I will care later, either.  At some point my life will edge back to "normal."  But "normal" is going to be different.  And the world is going to be different.  So, whether Twitter is still around, and still worth following, is just one of the things I'll have to adjust to.  It's not a big deal ...

No comments:

Post a Comment