Saturday, March 26, 2022

SUCCESS!

 

!

What do you mean, you don't see it?

That fairly straight line of green ... dots?  Smudges?  They're leaves.  Sprouting from radishes.  (At least, I'm *fairly* sure that that's what I planted there.)  (Hey, we grieving widowers have to take our successes where we can get them.)

Radishes are supposed to sprout fairly early, aren't they?  I understand, from my baby brother, that they sprout and produce fairly early in the season, and keep producing all spring.  So I've gone and got some more radish seeds.  Not that I'm particular fond of radishes, but, if they are going to grow, I'm going to plant them.  (Hey, we grieving widowers have to take our successes where we can get them.)  I've also got some green onion seeds, since I understand that they are easy to grow as well.  (Hey, we grieving widowers have to take our successes where we can get them.)  I've gone to Dollarama, and got a bunch more packets of seeds from them.  (They are only thirty-four cents at Dollarama.  The packets *say* $.99, but they only charge thirty-four cents at the till.  Yeah, I know they are probably not as good as the packets that everyone else sells for two or three dollars, but hey.  They're seeds.)  I even got some beets, finally.  I like beets.  I just hate to cook them.  I figure I can plant them now, and harvest them really late in the fall, when pretty much everything else is finished.  I remember beets taking a looooong time.  I may cook the greens (which tend not to be very green, but taste like a sort of gritty spinach) and get some peanut sauce, and try to make my own version of gomae.

Most of the strawberry shoots my baby brother has given me seem to have taken, and a number are putting out new leaves.  The ones I planted in the patio I probably will never see "produce," but I put some in pots, so they can come with me.  I even yanked a bit off a weeping willow tree that I passed a few days ago, and stuck it in one of the pots, to see if it would propagate.  (None of the pine seeds seem to have sprouted yet.)  I got some tomato seeds at Dollarama, so I may try my hand at starting some of them early/inside, if I can find another Kirkland croissant tray in the recycling bin to use as a greenhouse.

I suspect all my corn has died without ever sprouting, but I went overboard on buying corn seeds, so I can still plant some more when the weather gets a bit warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment