Monday, March 28, 2022

Listening and advising

So, I was restless and decided to go for a walk.  I needed some stuff from the store, and ended up buying more than I expected, and by the time I got through the till it was too late to get to my main church in time for the service so I headed for my emergency backup church.  Never heard the service, because D started talking to me.  He lost his wife about the same time Gloria died.  And we were still talking when the service started, and he seemed to need to, so I suggested we talk in the foyer.  He talked for two solid hours.

Remember listening?  I know 90% of you think you are better than average at listening, and that's mathematically impossible, but I am, actually, better than average at listening.  I've practiced.  And I listened for two solid hours.  Within ten minutes I'm sure that most people would have pegged him as a pathetic loser, and started giving "advice," but, if you actually listen to him, he's had a pretty interesting life.  He's got medical problems, so I could have pushed the idea of walking.  Except that, a few of his issues involve the feet (and, additionally, he probably knows as much about wound clinics as I do).  He's got financial difficulties, and I've just been through a seminar on the CPP plan and the various options, but I kept my mouth shut, and, fifteen minutes later it was clear he knew *more* about CPP than I did.  And so it went.

I hope he felt better for having someone actually listen to him for a while.  Maybe it'll help him.  If it didn't, maybe I wasted two hours of my life.  But, then again, what's so valuable about my time these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment