Monday, November 21, 2022

Made the bed

Why do I feel such a sense of accomplishment that I made the bed?  Millions of people do it every day.  I only do it twice a month, when I wash the sheets.

Maybe it's because I made the bed while the sheets were still in the washer.  Maybe it's because I've faked out the laundry process by buying two sets of sheets so that I can do that.  Anyway, I had a weirdly strong sense of accomplishment, just from making the bed first thing this morning.

Then I added to that by vacuuming the floor.  I vacuumed both the bare floors, and then the carpeted areas in the office and bedroom.  The carpeted areas produced an awful lot more dust.  The clear canister on the Dyson vacuum cleaner makes that fairly obvious.

However, I had kind of promised myself that I'd hike over and get a cup of coffee.  So, as I started to settle in to dealing with spam and email, first thing, I realized that I was in danger of blowing my sense of accomplishment, by thinking that I was late, when I actually had nothing on the calendar this morning.  Of course, there are things to do: there are a few pieces that I've dictated, and still haven't edited.  I need to set up the calendar for the grief group that I'll be leading shortly.  I need to get the Jesus Film Festival material out to the ministers in the area.  Those aren't on the calendar, even though they are things on my to-do list (which I never write down).  And, of course, because they don't have specific deadlines, they aren't on the calendar.

But then, accidentally, and fortunately, I looked out the front window and had a gorgeous site of the sun on top of the mountains to the north of the city.  So I took a picture of that, and posted it, and walked out to get my coffee anyway.  The stuff I need to do will still be there when I get back.

I did spend a bit too much at Dollarama on the way.  There were a couple of things that I intended to get, and, when I couldn't find them immediately, I did start browsing, and picked up more than I strictly needed when I started to process.  But I don't do this very often, and the grand total of my bill was not exactly huge.  So I think I can forgive myself for that one.

Part of what I bought at Dollarama was in aid of actually doing some Christmas decorating this year.  Gloria was always in charge of the Christmas decorations.  The only part that was my job was putting the lights up.  Gloria was big on Christmas, and I never have been.  I didn't bring any lights with me.  I don't know if I am going to invest in any lights, but I do have a strange motivation to do at least some decoration Christmas decoration on the house internally. (Although what I bought has mostly to do with putting a wreath on the door, and securing it.) (And, having said that, I realize that I forgot to buy the sip straps, so I guess the first part of the journey home will be to go back to Dollarama and get them.)  (And that was the beginning of *five* more trips to Dollarama, for a total outlay of well over a hundred dollars, more than fifty bucks of which was for lights.  Yes, I got them.  And they are up.  But I'll have to be careful around Dollarama.)


Anyway, I've had a couple of cups of A&W's coffee, and I've read, on my phone, a couple of the newsletters that I get, that I normally don't have to do anything about anyway.  So I've had a bit of a rest, and I guess it's time to head back, and get to actual work that I'll need to do.

It is a sunny day.  Mind you, first thing when I set out, it was bitterly, bitterly cold.  I had done a bit of a modification on my layers, and I don't think that the CanSecWest hoodie is quite as warm as the BSidesVancouver hoodie.  I also was wondering whether my toes were going to get frostbite, although I think that's highly unlikely.  But the sun has had a bit of a time to warm yet the atmosphere, so the walk back shouldn't be quite as frigid as the walk up.  And it is an absolutely gloriously sunny day, if you can survive the cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment