Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Canada Post, the washer, and the MBA ...

Well, I thought that, having fought with the telcos for two months, and *finally* getting Internet, and a home phone, and retaining Gloria's phone number (by switching it to a cell phone), that things might be settling down, and I might get to finish unpacking.

Silly me.

First off, Canada Post is not going to forward my mail.  (Although they are still forwarding my mail from North Van to the address that they are not going to forward the mail to me from.)  When I first tired to set up mail forwarding from Delta, it wouldn't accept the address.  The *Delta* address, not the one in Port Alberni that has been giving everyone else fits.  Canada Post shuffled the problem up the chain to IT who said it was a software glitch, and that it would be slow to fix because that came from an outside vendor.  They lied.

A few days back I finally got a call from someone at Canada Post with the news that, no, it wasn't a software glitch, and they had finally identified the problem, and it wasn't going to be fixed.  Apparently, my apartment in Delta is on a list.  The list includes old folks homes.  (The apartment was a "55+" place, but that didn't seem to mean anything except that there were grab bars in the shower enclosures.)  Canada Post seems to assume that if you are living in an old folks home, you can check in any time you like, but you can never leave.  Therefore, they won't forward mail from any addresses on that list.  Period.  No recourse.

However, at about the same time, I got mail at the Delta address offering to *extend* the mail forwarding that I had set up when I moved from North Van to Delta.  Which I am now trying to cancel, since there is no point in forwarding mail from North Van to Delta, when they won't forward mail from Delta to anywhere, and it would be better if I cancelled the forwarding to Delta, and forwarded directly any mail that is still coming to North Van, to Port Alberni.

Except that the only guy who seems to be the only one that I can talk to about any of this *IS NEVER IN THE OFFICE!!!!* when I go there.

This is somewhat frustrating.

A couple of weeks ago, I set the new washing machine, in the new house, to do the sanitize cycle.  It never seemed to complete, and threw an error code which, when I looked it up online, seemed to indicate the possibility of an internal leak.  So I passed that up the deficiency chain, and got the word back not to use the washer until someone came to look at it.  Nobody came to look at it.

In the meantime, in old person news, when you get old, sections of your skin, and other membranes, tend to get thin, and easy to tear.  You can cut yourself, simply by pulling on your skin the wrong way.  And, while I was drying myself off, I apparently cut myself this way.  In a portion of the male anatomy liberally supplied with blood vessels, and very hard to examine, dry blood off of, and get a bandaid on.  So, now I had bloody towels, and a more urgent need for the washer.

They have finally decided that this is not a deficiency, it is a warranty issue with the washer.  This, and the fact that I would have to register the washer for warranty service, was communicated with me while I was three miles away from the house, and the plates on the washer that give the model and serial numbers, which, of course, you need for registering a warranty.  [Sigh.]

However, I have been, as the weather gets colder, and is threatening rain, experimenting with layers of various combinations of garments.  Gotta stay warm, gotta stay dry, gotta have something on that you can semi-shed on long trips walking around town as you heat up from the exertion.  I have various jackets that I have used over the years.  One of the most useful has been my (navy) blue fleece jacket, but it has suddenly decided to come apart at the shoulder, and just when I have no talented seamstress at hand to fix it.

So, a couple of days ago I tried out the Mysterious Blue Anorak.  The MBA was left in Number Two Daughter's coat closet at some point in the distant past.  The consensus is, generally, that it must have been left there by one of Number One Granddaughter's friends.  But, nobody knows who, it has never been claimed, and it would probably be too small, now, for whoever left it.  So, one night when I was over there, and it started to rain, I was presented with the MBA to throw over myself on the run home.  At that time it was too small for me to wear.

It hung in my closet.  And, in the fullness of time, I got smaller.  I am now small enough that it can be zipped up, even over a fleece hoodie.  So, it makes a nice combination: the hoodie for warmth, and the MBA for waterproofing.  And the light blue colour is garish enough that it is safer for me walking around town in the dark.

Minor win, to offset Canada Post and the washer?

(Then again, my heat pump seems to have stopped pumping ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment