Thursday, February 24, 2022

Dyson in operation

(Appended addendum about Dyson's reaction to the review, 20220321)

(Appended addendum about charging, 20220328)

(Appended addendum about canister 202220413)

Well, I've had a month using the Dyson.  I like it.  Not completely unreservedly, but I like it a lot.

The counter is still a gimmick.  The yellow bar is always the highest, and the numbers are too small to read when you are working (and they go away soon when you turn it off), so it really doesn't tell you anything.  On the other hand, you can hear the change in power when the machine detects more dust on the floor.

For floors, it's a lot handier and quicker to use than the Kenmore.  With bare floors (and bare feet) that's important, because I tend to get it out about every three days.  I can get about five or six cleanings before a recharge.  Recharging takes a bit of planning, because it's out of service for almost five hours while that goes on.  You can buy a spare battery, but they are $200.  (I wonder how long they last ...)

I'm getting used to the swivel head on the power bar.  This *sort of* makes up for the lack of a flatter floor brush: if you can't get under things, at least you can get pretty near the edge of them.  It takes a while to get used to the wrist action necessary to turn and redirect the power head, but, when you do, it's surprisingly maneuverable.

I'm using the laser head pretty much all the time.  Partly this is because the beater bar is not suitable for bare floors, but partly it's because the laser, gimmick or not, is a handy guide to what you have cleaned and what you haven't.  Obviously my aging eyes are no longer good enough to see hairs and other indicators of what should be vacuumed without the laser.

Emptying the v15 is a lot easier and quicker than the old one.

Since my old Dyson went flaky after only a few years (and not much use), I'm a bit paranoid about the maintenance on this one, and have been watching the videos about how to clean the power head brush and the filter.  I've washed them both once, now.  It takes a bit of planning, because the machine is going to be out of service for at least a day while they dry.  They say to fill the filter with water and shake it.  With the wide openings on each end of the filter, and my small hands, that's a bit of a challenge.

The machine is still too heavy for dusting, and the leaf blower action of the exhaust is a nuisance.  Even when vacuuming the floor, you only have to go past a table with your household accounts, or a counter with some stacks of paperwork on it, and everything goes flying.  Last time out, it blew all the sympathy cards for Gloria all over the floor.  I'm seriously thinking of building some kind of deflector, with duct tape and cardboard, to redirect the exhaust either up, down, or back.

You have to be careful what you plug the Dyson into when charging.  For some reason, it has a tendency to "pop" out of certain outlets.  (When you have to charge it for four and a half hours, that can be a problem.)


Shortly after I got the Dyson v15, and registered it, Dyson started bugging me to post a review of it.  The review was to be posted on their "community" Website.  Well, having done the original, and now this, I posted a combination of the two on Dyson's "community."  Even though it's generally positive, for some reason (because it isn't completely effusive promotion of the product?) Dyson immediately deleted it from their "community."


I have found that it is quite possible to operate the Dyson with the canister insecure. Which means that the quarter hour I *thought* I spent vacuuming, I was, instead, simply redistributing the dust and dirt around the apartment ...

No comments:

Post a Comment