Saturday, February 26, 2022

services

I don't wanna say that I'll be glad when all of this is over, but I'll be glad when all of this is over.

Yesterday we had the committal.  Today we're having the memorial service.  I'm enjoying the chance to talk about Gloria, and celebrate her life and many *MANY* accomplishments.  She had too little credit, during her life, for all the great things she did.

But I think I'll have a heart attack and die from *NOT* being surprised at the selfishness, thoughtlessness, and carelessness that people have allowed to blossom into full flower in their implications and demands that *I*, who have to mange all of this, will respond, at the last minute, to their minor concerns (that could have been addressed far earlier).  K&L have been absolutely great, and, even in the midst of their own grief, are supporting me as much as they can.  Treasure stepped in at the last minute when I broke down yesterday, and did a terrific job, honouring his Grama.

Even while I was having a bit of respite with the family last night, some people were conspiring to delay things, and I faced an unforeseen pile of work when I got home that kept me up trying to address things for an hour and a half before I could try and sleep.  Some of the selfishness barely registered with me last night, tired as I was, and I only realized the full extent of it this morning when I got up (so I guess it's a good thing that my sleep patterns are a bit odd these days).  (Of course, even some of those last-minute and selfish demands pointed out other things that could improve the service, so it's an ill wind and all that.)

I want to do the best I can for Gloria with this next-to-last thing I can do for her.  So far a lot of things are annoying for me, but seem to be going OK as far as others see it.  I hope the memorial goes well today, and honours her memory and attainments.

1 comment:

  1. You've likely already heard and read that Gloria's memorial was beautiful (your last line above was realized).

    From reading this blog, I knew that Gloria was going to sing, but knowing that ahead of time did not prepare me for the emotions I felt.

    You spoke well and clearly, and I was impressed with the humour that shone through.

    There were no annoying technical issues that I saw. That was a blessing. And Gloria's organization meant that as a "virtual usher" I had nothing to do (but I ensured that I had three computers at the ready).

    Sincerely Vern and Angela

    ReplyDelete