Friday, February 11, 2022

Blogging is backwards

Recently, via email, someone commented on my blog, and, at first, I didn't understand the remark.  Then I realized that, the way blogs are structured and laid out, this person saw the *last* thing that I wrote, *first*.

I'm new to blogging.  I've written lots, but this is my first time on a blog, my own blog, for any extended period.  I've contributed to lots of other people's systems, but those items were, for the most part, one-off pieces about specific topics or issues.  So this business of me knowing the flow and background of what I've been writing, and other people only getting the last bit, is new to me.

In addition, I discovered, quite by accident, how easy it is to edit an existing posting, without even meaning to.  Once I discovered this, I started going back and making additions and corrections to some of my earlier posts.  And then realized that a lot of people see the posts as static, and, if they've read it once, never do go back and see it again.  Particularly with the "Images" posting, I added a lot of new pictures, over time, and even some video, and then found out that a lot of people who saw it at first, never did see the later pictures that I added.  (I've started to add a notice, at the top of some posts like "Streaming," where I am doing a lot of research and testing over time, to the effect that the page is subject to ongoing maintenance, and that you'd better keep checking if you want the latest details.  (Does Blogger support RSS?  Not that I've ever used RSS ...)

(I have, at time, idly been considering going back and making references and links between a number of the postings that relate to each other.  But, particularly with the planning for the memorial service, and researching all the bits to do with the streaming, and fighting with VHS tapes and the video editing, it just hasn't been a priority ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment