Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Calls

A few of people have called (belatedly) and told me that they hadn't called because they didn't know what to say.  That's OK.  There is nothing to say.  You could, of course, listen.  Given the slightest indication that you might be willing to listen, I'll tell you all about it.  Having someone listen would be really, really great.

(Mostly, of course, nobody *has* called.)

Then there are those who, knowing they have nothing to say, insist on proving it.  They call, and then there are these long, painful conversations about--nothing.  They say nothing.  Nothing of any interest.  Nothing of any moment.  Sometimes literally nothing, with long pauses.  But, of course, as soon as ever *I* start to say anything, they start talking again.  About nothing.  About nonsense.  About people and things I know nothing about.

I suppose they are afraid that I'll say something sad, or depressing.  It's possible.  It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, would it?  (I mean, it's not as bad as losing your wife, is it?)  I'm not really sure what they are afraid of.  Silence?  Well, yeah, silence can be a bit of a pain.  I sit in silence for most of the day.

Mostly it's better than one of those calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment