Monday, August 22, 2022

o/' We're havin' a heatwave ... o/'

We're having a heatwave.  At least for Vancouver.

I know that lots of other people will laugh at the temperatures we consider a heatwave.  But Vancouver is used to a very moderate climate.  Very few people have air conditioning in residences.  Somewhat more businesses do, but by no means all.

This particular heat wave isn't extended.  Well, yes, we are having hotter than normal weather.  We've had hotter than normal weather over much of the summer.  Unusually, for Vancouver, we have had only one day's rain since June.  I have been paying more attention to forecast and the weather, because of all the gardening.

Anyway, it is warmer than normal.  And yesterday, and today, are a bit of a peak.  Heat warnings are on and vulnerable people, particularly the elderly, are being warned to stay cool, avoid the heat of the day, and to stay hydrated.

Also because of the gardening, I, while I can slightly avoid the hottest periods of the day, still have to be out for some periods in heat.  Yesterday was fairly busy and so I did not particularly notice the heat as such, all I know that it was hot and uncomfortable.  I was watering at Deltassist in the early morning, and I was helping at a church barbecue in the evening.  Helping at the church barbecue probably meant that I didn't notice the heat as much, since I was around a barbecue anyways.

I did notice that yesterday morning, when I was out early to do the watering, it was almost chilly from overnight from the day before.  This morning I have again gotten up early to go and do a mini garden day at Deltassist, and I want to get a little watering before the rest of the gang gets there.  However, when I left, I noticed that, while not yet hot, even at 5:00 a.m. it's definitely not chilly.  It's pretty hot, and I expect today will be a bit of a scorcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment