Monday, August 15, 2022

Dawn reminder

With the heat, I have been getting up, and walking, trying to be out of the heat of the day, sometimes going walking even before I've had a morning shower.  I have been seeing some dawns and sunrises this way.

Dawn, and sunrise, has become a reminder of Gloria.  Not that Gloria enjoyed dawn or sunrise: she didn't do mornings well.  After she retired we decided that she didn't need to do mornings at all.  She very often didn't get up before 11:00 AM, and sometimes not even until noon.

No, the reason that dawn is a reminder of Gloria was that on Friday, the day before she died, I was, at that time, sleeping overnight at the hospital in Gloria's room.  And, of course, I wasn't sleeping very well.  So I was often up fairly early.  And so it was that on the Friday morning I was up early and, unusually for Vancouver in December, the sky was clear enough that we had quite a lovely sunrise.  I posted a couple of those pictures from that sunrise, late in the rather long posting about Gloria's last days in hospital. It was a gorgeous sunrise, very pink, and, of course, pink was always Gloria's favorite colour.

So, dawn, and sunrise, has become a reminder of Gloria because of that second last dawn.  Pretty much every dawn and sunrise that I see these days (and, with getting out to walk as early as possible to be out of the heat of the day, I'm seeing a lot of them) is a reminder of Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment