Thursday, October 6, 2022

Value Village

I am moving.  So I am packing.  So, in order to reduce what I have to pack, and reduce what I have to pay for moving, I am once again purging.  As previously noted, this is difficult.  Most of the stuff that I am now purging, is Gloria's stuff.  It is triggering me in a variety of different ways.  There are some things that I simply have not been able to get rid of yet.  There are some things that are going to come with me to Port Alberni, even though it makes no sense.  It's stuff that I will never use, and I don't even really feel anything about in and of itself.  But these are things that Gloria loved, and I can't throw all of them away. At least not right now.

So, I am making trips to Value Village.  Value Village is a lifesaver.  Value Village doesn't have great big signs up saying we only take clothes.  Value Village doesn't force you to try and dump things into bins where the windows are higher than you are tall.  There are lots of great things about Value Village.  I have also been buying, occasionally, things at Value Village.  I got a hat there the other day.  It's a cheap Chinese knockoff of a Tilley, and I definitely had to wash it before I even thought about wearing it, and then I had to dry it very carefully, in order for it to even think about holding its shape, for what little shape it has, but it was cheap, and it won't fall apart the first time it gets rained on.

Today I took a fairly large load to the donation site.  There was an attendant at the donation site, for once, but he didn't even ask me about what it was that I was donating.  He just asked if I wanted a discount coupon for making a donation.  So I got a discount coupon.  And, because I got a discount coupon, I decided to go into the store and see if there was anything remotely worth buying.

I was thinking about overalls.  I couldn't find where overalls might be, anywhere in the store.  (And, possibly given that Halloween is coming up, it was hugely busy.)  So I looked in the furniture section.  There wasn't anything remotely worth buying there.  So I went and looked at pants, and looked at the section of shorts.  There were a couple of pairs of shorts that I was quite interested in buying: they were cargo shorts, and I always like the idea.  So I started looking around the room for the fitting rooms.  I couldn't find them.  I went up to the till.  I asked for the fitting rooms were.  She said they didn't have any right now.

No fitting rooms?  I would have thought that, for a store which basically has a no return policy, making sure that what you are buying actually fits, is an absolute necessity.  Value Village apparently disagrees.  I find that truly bizarre.

Oh, and the discount?  The discount, on the coupon, is for a lesser discount then I, as a senior (and you only have to be sixty to be a senior) can get on any Tuesday.  While I don't find that completely bizarre, I do find it a bit misleading.

No comments:

Post a Comment