Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Second day in Port Alberni

 Despite having had very little sleep in the week before, and despite getting quite chilled at dinner on the first day in Port Alberni, and despite staying up late watching a movie ("Blonde": I really wouldn't bother), I woke up at 3:45 AM.  Couldn't get back to sleep.  So I did a couple of hours of work, and then headed off to do some walking.  I walked up to the big box store area in Port Alberni, and even did a bit of shopping at the Walmart, buying some produce from the discounted section.

K had obtained the keys for possession of the unit, and brought them over to L's place, and the three of us headed for the unit.  I drove my car, already packed with stuff that I had brought from Delta, and we unloaded the contents into the unit.  Immediately K and L started organizing things and making the place look much better than it would have if it was just me dumping the boxes into the middle of the room.  L even found a solution to a problem with the bathrooms, which is that neither one has any bathroom cabinet space, or even drawers to store materials like toothpaste and medications.  She had some plastic sectional drawers which turned out to be an almost perfect fit for building shelving units under the sinks.  We made another run back to her place to pick up those units, and also to pick up the extra stuff that I had left at her place over two visits.

After a bit more organizing, on K and L's part, and some lunch, provided by L, we felt that the place definitely had some possibilities.  The view is absolutely gorgeous.


We then split up to do a bit of work individually. I did some shopping, getting a more solid idea of availability and prices of what I'm going to be living on in Port Alberni.  I had to be cognizant of the fact that my diet has definitely changed and that a lot of things that I was looking for before, I'm not looking for anymore.  But I also purchased supplies enough to feed myself, in a minimalist kitchen, over the next few days.  Anything else that I purchased is in the non-perishable category and can be used at any time in the future.

I met three of my neighbors.  Later in the day we had a really good visit with the neighbor on one side, who has not lived in this area, or indeed in BC, although she has relatives in the area, and is somewhat familiar with the area from visiting.  She seems a very nice person.

Then we grabbed some fast food and had a dinner, while Kay was still foraging for extra supplies and equipment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment