Tuesday, September 6, 2022

*My* garden

 I find that I am taking an oddly proprietary interest in any of the gardens that I have had anything to do with.  This is especially apparent at Deltassist.  (Which is particularly odd, in that Deltassist is the one garden that is definitely a group effort, and I am the least knowledgeable member of the group.)

Most of the time, being the person with the least gardening experience and knowledge, I am doing bulk work type jobs, like watering.  Anybody can drag the hoses around and water.  However, when I have been given a task to do involving a specific planter, or crop, I tend to take a great interest in that crop, from then on.  For example, I was given the job of harvesting the garlic.  From that point on, I seem to have considered the garlic mine.  Today I have a lot of jobs to do; I am watering, and trying to get that out of the way before any of the cars come in, I am going to be turning over yet another of the compost heaps which is a time consuming and heavy task; and yet the garlic should be finished up today.  I did about a third of the garlic, in terms of cleaning it up and cutting the stalks off and getting it ready to be bagged, about two weeks ago.  Now, with my other jobs this morning, it feels like I may not have enough time to finish the garlic as well, and yet the garlic needs to be finished today.  I am feeling oddly forlorn at the thought that somebody else might be finishing up the garlic.

A week or so ago the boss gave me the job of burying the leeks.  You don't bury them completely of course; you add dirt around the young plants, an inch or half an inch at a time, until the plants are buried about five inches more than they were when they were originally planted.  This provides for the white stalks to develop farther and longer, and prevents them from having the tough, green, outer skin on them.  As I have been watering the leeks I have been feeling oddly possessive, and wondering if they are being buried by somebody else.  (As far as I can tell, nobody has been adding extra dirt to them.)

Sandra also gave me the job of planting green onions a week or so ago.  As I have been watering that bed I have been checking, rather feverishly, to see if there was any indication of new growth and to see if the green onions were in fact germinating.  Yesterday I noticed one green shoot which might have been a green onion or might have been a weed of grass starting to grow in that bed.  Today I have seen at least four shoots in the bed.  All of the shoots are in the lines where I planted the green onions, so I'm pretty sure that I can say that these are in fact green onions and not weeds that are growing there.  I am feeling right chuffed!

No comments:

Post a Comment