Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Participaction and bus passes

 I went ten kilometres to old guys coffee morning today.  As I did I passed a number of students at bus stops.

At the same time, Participaction is trying to get us all to be more active, and to get more exercise in our lives. 

Well, I have a suggestion.  Take away bus passes.  All of these kids were within two and a half kilometers of their high school.  It wouldn't have taken them more than half an hour to get to school.

I can legitimately say that I walked 2 miles, through the snow, to school everyday.  (Of course, I don't have to mention that this was not while I was *going* to school, but while I was teaching.)  It wasn't uphill both ways, but it was a fairly stiff climb at the end of a trying day of trying to expunge ignorance.  However, I did walk over a mile to elementary school, and more than three miles to high school everyday.  It didn't do me any harm.

(OK, maybe not *all* bus passes.  Maybe have a distance test?)

No comments:

Post a Comment