Monday, July 18, 2022

Bicycles

I hesitate to say anything bad about bicycles, and cyclists, because I used to be one. 

I used to ride to school.  Seven miles to school.  I used to ride to work.  And this was back in the days before bike lanes became a thing.  I got knocked off my bike, by cars, at least three times.  This was in the days before bicycle helmets.  I actually went out and bought a motorcycle helmet to protect myself.  One time a truck quite deliberately ran me off the road.  (I don't know why: I expect he thought I had impeded him in some way.  He ended up on the boulevard.  Whatever delay he thought I had caused him must have been rather small in comparison to how much he delayed himself that day.)

So, I know all about cycling on a regular basis.  Cycling, not just for sport, or recreation, but as a means of transport.  To get somewhere.  As I say, this was before there were bike lanes.  When I rode, you had a choice between riding on the sidewalk, and riding on the road.  I always rode on the road.

I don't see too many bicycles on the road anymore.  Generally speaking I see them on the sidewalk.  That's when I'm walking on the sidewalk.  I don't see them too much around town.  I do see them, quite a lot, on the sidewalks beside Nordel Way, and over the Alex Fraser bridge.

I'm also seeing different types of bikes.  Bikes with huge fat tires, and, generally somewhere on the bike, some big black box that contains the battery.  Yes, electric bikes.  From my perspective, that's cheating.  A bit, anyway.  I mean, these aren't so much bicycles, as somewhat underpowered motorcycles.  Okay, yes, I can see that it might be a cheaper form of transportation than a car.  (Although, given the price that I've noted for some of these electric bicycles, I don't know how much cheaper.)  But if you think you're getting your exercise by cycling, I don't think you're getting as much exercise as you think you are.

And then there's bicycle etiquette.  As noted, in my day you had a choice between the road and the sidewalk.  These days everybody seems to choose the sidewalk.  They are not in contention with the cars.  They are in contention with me, and other pedestrians like me. (Okay, yes, there aren't too many pedestrians like me.)

So, these days, when cyclists overtake pedestrians, they call out as they approach.  Generally from about 50 feet away.  Whatever it is that they call out is completely incomprehensible at that distance.  (If you can even hear them.) Sometimes they ring their bell.  From about 50 feet away.  It's hard to tell where the sound of the bell is coming from at that distance.  So, basically, calling out, or ringing a bell, from that distance away is just startling, without providing any real information or morning to the pedestrian.

If you think you are going to be calling out specific instructions to the pedestrian, such as "I am coming up on your left and would like you to stay where you are," then unless you are within about five or ten feet, the pedestrian is not going to hear all of that message.  And, of course, if you are traveling at about 30 miles an hour you cannot compress that entire message into a short enough time, that you can get it all out before you have actually passed the pedestrian.

Now yes, it is nice that you are calling out some kind of warning.  Maybe.  If you can think of some effective way to get across the message of where you are, and where you expect the pedestrian to be, and what you expect the pedestrian to do, and do it in a manner that is close enough that this message can be effectively delivered, and early enough that the pedestrian can do something about it, then go for it.  But that seems unlikely, given your speed and the amount of time that is available.

Somebody passed me on the bridge this morning.  Without saying anything.  He didn't hit me, and although I was a little startled, it wasn't as disturbing as somebody ringing their bell at me for several seconds, while I frantically tried to figure out where the heck they are.

Really, what you want to do, is slow down.  Yes, I know, you don't want to slow down.  It has taken you time and energy to build up speed.  You want to maintain that speed.  I know.  I've done it.  For years.  I know that coming to a stop and starting up again requires as much energy as traveling for about a mile.  So yes, I know.  You don't want to slow down.  But, in reality, that is the only courteous thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment