Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Pine mushrooms?

There has been a HUGE crop of one particular type of mushroom on the (large) patio area.  Because of one characteristic as they are dying, it tickled in the back of my mind that these are edible.  There is a new book on "Mushrooms of British Columbia" out.  Of the FOUR library systems I have access to, I have, today, FINALLY, been able to reserve ONE (1) that I might get access to reasonably soon.

Unfortunately, either today or yesterday was the day that the landscapers decided that they don't like the mushrooms, mowed the lawn, and rooted out all the large specimens.  Fortunately, I was able to gather some smaller ones that they missed.  I've now planted them in my patio area, under other bushes.

So, finally I *did* get "Mushrooms of British Columbia," and it's a *wonderful* book, and I may have to get a copy.  (Any bookstores in Delta?  Yeah, I know, "Amazon."  Philistines.)  And, on my first run through, it seems that what I have been seeing in the lawn and garden, and what the landscapers mowed down, were pine mushrooms.  Selling for $95 per kilogram.  I figure the landscapers mowed down or rooted up at least two grand worth ...

So, I may have pine mushrooms, and a nice little cash crop, in my patio garden.  Or, they might be amanitas.  In which case I'll feed them to the squirrels ...


(After a bit more research, they don't seem to be pine mushrooms, but Shaggy Mane, aka White Inky Cap.  Apparently still a very choice mushroom.)



No comments:

Post a Comment