Thursday, May 12, 2022

Dinged?

So, I posted what I thought was a bit of a joke (albeit maybe a dark one) about being pathetically lonely following bereavement.

And posted it various places, including Facebook.

Facebook has decided that either I am trying to raise money, or that I need to raise money.  (Facebook, being obsessed with money?  I think I'll have a heart attack and die from *NOT* being surprised.)  Facebook has somehow flagged my post with a suggestion that I ask my "community" for "support," that is, money.  They even include a link to a page that will help you create "a fundraiser on Facebook in a few quick steps."  (The page opens with a grid of 15 options for different categories of fundraisers, including "Other.")

I mean, I understand that you have zero privacy on Facebook.  I understand that Facebook considers everything you post there to be Facebook's property.  I understand that they have programs that automatically read, categorize, and harvest everything you post.  But, somehow, this seems more than vaguely creepy.  I assume that Facebook is, somehow, going to monetize (for themselves) any funding that anyone does raise using Facebook.  (I don't know those business models, but I assume that, at the very least, any money they raise for *anyone* helps them sell themselves as a fundraising vehicle to major charities.)  But flagging (I assume) the word "bereaved" and then tying it to a pitch to raise money just seems a bit beyond the pale.  Facebook is trying to capitalize on my (and others') grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment