Saturday, April 20, 2024

MGG - 5.11 - HWYD - "The Chair"

I can't remember exactly when this happened. 

At the time I wasn't working full-time in information technology work.  I was going to all the trade shows and vendor presentations that I could come up with.  I do not know how I happened on this one particular group.  I did receive an invitation from them, and was interested in attending their event.  There wasn't much of a program, but there were some interesting vendors involved with them.  So I registered and went along. 

It was fully as interesting as I expected.  I was given a chance to talk in some detail with a number of vendors, and was impressed with the high calibre of the representatives from the vendors who were involved in this particular trade show.

As I went through the day, I heard various comments about "The Chair."  I did know that there were some door prizes.  One of the door prizes was a full entertainment system with a video camera, which at the time was impressively expensive.  But everyone was talking about "The Chair."  "Who do you think will win The Chair this year?"  "I hope I win The Chair."

The door prizes were displayed in one particular area, and I noted that the chair was an armchair with a recliner and foot rest, but, as far as I could tell, that was about it.  I stayed until the end, when the prizes were drawn.  Greatly to my surprise, I was the one who won the chair.  The chair was the first prize.

Then the organizers of the event got weird.  There were problems with delivery of the chair.  All of a sudden the group that had organized this event didn't want to award me the prize.

Even though they had invited me to this event, at this point, they decided that I wasn't really the type of person they were looking for at the event.  They balked at delivering the prize to me, and started requesting all kinds of details of information about my business. 

While all this was going on, I happened to receive a phone call from the shipping company which was delivering the chair.  They asked to confirm my address and whether I would be home at such and such a time in order to receive it.  I confirmed the address and the time.  They delivered the chair.  The next phone call I had from the organizers of this event, they were still loath to deliver the chair.  I told them that the chair had already been delivered.  That was the last I heard from them. 

Well, once "The Chair" was delivered, we found out why it was so special.  This was an early version of chairs that have subsequently become rather common, with back and leg massages and vibrations.  This chair even had a radio combined with a cassette system, and shipped with a cassette of "relaxing nature sounds."

When one son-in-law tried it, he decided it was extremely comfortable.  Until the point at which the nature sounds started playing the sound of a trickling brook.  At which point he decided that he immediately needed to go to the bathroom.

I still have "The Chair," and it still works just fine.  Visitors to our home, over the years, were introduced to it, and the grandchildren delighted in it.  (The greatgrandkids aren't quite of an age to be introduced to it, yet.)  It was Gloria's bed for several months when she broke her shoulder.  (When she needed to get up to go to the bathroom, she couldn't get out of it unaided.  So we made sure she always had the phone with her, and, when she needed to get up, she'd call my cell, and I'd come downstairs and help her to the bathroom.)  It has to be on the order of thirty-five years old, so the engineering and manufacturing was pretty solid.  I still use it every morning for my daily Bible readings, and sometimes sleep in it when my hip or back is acting up.

Previous: https://fibrecookery.blogspot.com/2024/04/mgg-510-hwyd-church-business-analysis.html

Introduction and ToC: https://fibrecookery.blogspot.com/2023/10/mgg-introduction.html

Next: TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment