Friday, April 19, 2024

Banana bereft

I have had a double shift with the Banana phone.  The Banana phone (of which I have spoken elsewhere) is the emergency support services dispatch phone.  The task is not arduous, but it is important.  Therefore, when we are on shift with the Banana phone, we have to keep it with us at all times.  The shifts are two weeks long, so, basically, I have been carrying the Banana phone for about a month.  And, of course, I have been carrying it with me everywhere.  It is the first thing that I put into the pocket of my dressing gown when I get up in the morning, and it is the last thing to be placed on the bedside table at night.  It goes with me to the bathroom.  It goes with me everywhere.  It is in my pocket at all times, unless it is within immediate reach. 

Now that I have finally turned the Banana phone over to the next holder, I am feeling oddly bereft.  Now I am down to carrying only two cell phones in my pocket, neither of which is as heavy, or as bulky, as the Banana phone.  I am no longer carrying an iPhone.  That was struck home to me today, when I went to do some testing with newer phones, in regard to QR codes.  I suddenly didn't have access to an iPhone for testing purposes.

So, my pocket is oddly light.  When I go to change, or otherwise empty out my pockets, I feel like I'm missing something, because the Banana phone isn't there.  As I mentally checking to make sure that I have everything with me, the Banana phone isn't there.  It has been a responsibility, and somewhat of an encumbrance, in my life for the past month.  And now that it's no longer a weight, and a drag, I am wondering what is missing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment