Saturday, March 18, 2023

This is not a podcast

No, I'm not doing a podcast.  For one thing, I do not now, nor have I ever, owned an iPod.  And I don't listen to or, now, watch, podcasts.  Yes, I walk a lot, but somebody's random opinions, on a daily basis, aren't, from my perspective, worth downloading and planning and arranging in advance, in order to be able to listen to them on my walks.  And I don't have big enough data plans on my phone to just search them up, download them, and listen to them while I'm walking.

But that's the consumer side, anyway.  What I am doing here, is short, and daily, or at least regularly, and it's basically me talking.  But it's not a podcast.  No, as much as it may appear to be, it's not just me randomly talking about different subjects.  It is based on my CISSP seminar and it is planned, and has a structure (as unevident as that may be at times), and will complete the material.

On the other hand, I can't say that I am being strictly rigorous about the posting of material.  I have, for example, just uploaded one of the clips to TikTok out of sequence, and possibly with an incorrect numbering in the description.  This is because of TikTok's ten minute limit, and the fact that I overran it by either 2 or 4 seconds, depending on which particular clock you rely on.  I did the upload to TikTok, directly from my phone, shortly after I recorded the clip, in order to see whether TikTok would accept the video.  It didn't seem to have any problem posting the video, although I haven't attempted to watch it all the way through to the end.  (It seems to have clipped four seconds off, but that probably won't create any great loss.)  I also noted something interesting with the TikTok app: when uploading a video, the screen that shows is primarily a black background, and therefore doesn't contribute very much to battery drain.  Which is good, because it doesn't blank the screen, either, while it is doing the upload.  It doesn't seem to consider upload as a function that can go on in the background, and so seems to keep the screen open and doesn't blank it.  I find this a rather interesting choice on the part of TikTok's creators and programmers.

Anyway, this is all kind of an experiment anyway.  Having created the original posting explaining what I was trying to do, I subsequently realized that another advantage of the ten minute time limit on the video clips was that one could make the point that you can study the CISSP on your coffee break.  The individual clips are short enough that they can be accommodated on a coffee break.  You have to take an awful lot of coffee breaks to get the whole course, but studying for the CISSP over a longer period of time is probably a good idea anyway.

As well as producing the CISSP seminar itself, this experiment is teaching me a bit more about social media.  I already knew that it's important, if doing something on social media, to produce material on a regular basis, and that regularity is probably more important than having amazing content.  Regular posting probably makes it seem like a conversation with the author, and the social aspect, that of actually having a conversation, is probably more important than individual insights.

Which is probably why I, myself, don't listen to podcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment