Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Potatoes

Gardening day yesterday.  A big morning, and early afternoon, at Deltassist, where a projected two hours turned into three and a half of weeding, watering, harvesting, and planting.  There were also some "volunteer" potatoes, growing from an incomplete clean out from last year, which I was asked to take out of a couple of different beds.  Since there was no place else to put them, it was either chuck them in the compost bin or me take them home to various of my other gardens.  So I did.

I put thirteen, all I had room for, into the church raised beds.  Of course, nobody was at the church on a Monday.  So, in order to water them in at all, I had to carry up water with me.  Between the plants dehydrating in the couple of hours that it took me to walk home, and the lack of water that I was able to carry to the church in order to do a little bit of watering in as I planted them, they now look more like they should be growing potato chips.  However, rain is forecast tomorrow night, and Thursday night, so hopefully they will survive until then.  Once they've had those two bouts of rain they should be okay for a while. 

The remaining five potato plants I put into the community garden.  They're pretty dehydrated too, but at least I was able to use the hose there and give them a bit of a soak.  Hopefully they'll survive.  I also put in a bit more beets.  The broad beans are doing quite well in the community garden, and today, for some reason, the sunflowers have really sprouted!  Mostly producing leaves, but an enormous growth of leaves for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment