Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Grit blast

Seventeen kilometres today, which isn't bad, considering I didn't think that I'd have an awful lot of time for walking today.  What with a five-hour transit ride for a one hour medical appointment on the North Shore again.  I suppose a half a kilometer of that is down to the stress test.  Also not bad considering I was walking on a broken toe.

I haven't been to Queensborough in a while, so there was a bit of a change.  Even though I'm getting used to the foibles of the Alex Fraser bridge, I'm really starting to get annoyed by the management of the Alex Fraser bridge. To whit, today the west side pedestrian walkway was closed, for some purpose that seemed to involve about fifty feet of the total bridge deck.  Of course, they don't tell you this until you have walked all the way over the overpass to the west side of the bridge, and are then informed that the sidewalk is closed, and you have to walk all the way back over the overpass to the east side of the bridge.  And, of course, cross all of the dozens of little crossings that you have to make across roadways and entrances and exits in order to get across the overpass.

This means, of course, that if you are walking southbound on the Alex Fraser bridge, you have to walk against the northbound oncoming traffic.  Which means you get the full force of the wind blast, and the grit blast, from the oncoming cars and, particularly, trucks.  Up at the midpoint of the bridge the addition of an apparent wind from the south made it seem like I was walking into gale force winds.

The toe really wasn't an issue while I was walking.  Until the last kilometer when it was kind of sore.  Which may have had something to do with the fact that during the second last kilometer of walking home my left foot, which is the one with the broken toe, started to cramp in a weird way.

So, soaking in the tub at the end of it all was *very* soothing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment