Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Whirlpool, and other natural disasters and dangers

 One of the deficiencies in my new place is that it has a new Whirlpool washer and dryer.  There are some problems with the washer, but they are relatively minor, and relatively easy to diagnose and understand, although annoying.  The dryer, however, seems to have a relatively fatal flaw.

In terms of the washer, as noted, having done one cycle, when I asked it for an extra rinse, it showed me an error code, and then refused to do anything.  The owner's manual, and quick start guide, do not mention anything about this error code, but then neither has any section on troubleshooting.  I could not, initially, look up any additional documentation or any issues regarding Whirlpool washing machines in this particular error code, because, of course, I did not have access to the Internet. [Sigh.]

It wasn't stuff impeding the door.  I got this Loc code and it does absolutely nothing.

When I finally got access to the Internet, a quick Google search cleared it up almost instantly.  Apparently, Whirlpool decided you need a feature that locks the washing machine.  It doesn't lock the door, it just prevents the washing machine from either operating or changing operation.  And it's holding down the extra rinse button too long that locks the machine!!!!

For the dryer, I cannot find a cycle that will finish drying.  Anything.  I haven't yet put anything into the dryer, that hasn't required multiple cycles to complete.  It's annoying.  Most of the time when I put in a mixed set of underwear socks and t-shirts, it's possibly two or three cycles, before everything is done.  But, everything does get done, sort of, and I can finish off the last few items, that aren't yet dry, while I am sorting those that have been through a couple of cycles, and are dry.

Yesterday I did a blanket.  It's a cotton blanket, and I put it in by itself, to wash, because I figured it might be too bulky for the washer to handle by itself.  It looks like I was wrong, in terms of the washing.  I probably should have put in a couple of towels, or something, to balance it out, because the washer seemed to find it a real struggle to spin it dry.  It tried, for about twenty minutes, in the last minute of a more than two hour cycle, to spin it dry.  After twenty minutes, it hadn't even come close.  I finally hauled it out, hauled it over to the shower stall, and manually wrung the blanket dry(-ish).  After I had wrung it out, I put it in the dryer.  The dryer didn't appear to have any trouble tumbling it.  But a 1 hour cycle completed in only 10 minutes.  And the blanket wasn't remotely dry.  I tried a slightly different cycle.  That didn't dry the blanket.  I tried the towels setting.  I tried the bulky items setting.  I tried heavy duty.  I tried extra temperature, and more time settings on the dryer.  I ran it through half a dozen different cycles.  Finally, after a dozen or more cycles, which all seemed to end much earlier than the panel said they would (interrupted by the fact that I did have other things to do yesterday), the blanket was dry.  But it took several hours to do it, and a lot of time, pulled away from other things, to restart the dryer, sometimes on a different setting, to do the drying job.  This is supposed to be an automatic dryer.  It's supposed to be automatic to save me time.  Instead, it's pulling me away from whatever I'm doing, when it stops early, in order to start it again, and get it to it complete it's assigned job.  You know that saying, you had one job?  Well, Whirlpool, you had one job, with regard to the dryer.  You are falling down on the job.  I would not recommend Whirlpool dryers.  At all.  They just don't work.  They just don't do what they are supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment