Monday, July 22, 2024

Review of "From Strength to Strength," by Arthur C. Brooks

I didn't learn anything in particular from this book.  I don't have the "striver's curse," and I'm not on the "hedonic treadmill" of which Brooks speaks.  I learned quite a while ago that success, while it relies on preparation, learning, discipline, and work, is also, and primarily, about random chance.  And you are unlikely to make it as a big success in life if you don't make it early.  So, I figured I wasn't going to make it, and why bother trying to play the success game, if I wasn't going to win?

But I highly recommend that pretty much everybody read it.  Those who are under the striver's curse, or on the hedonic treadmill, should be encouraged to get off.  Those who are wondering how to get off can gain some insight from the principles suggested in the book, although enlightenment and wisdom is not one-size-fits-all, so this isn't exactly a step-by-step process to enlightenment.  But it is quite valuable advice.

It is also comforting to know that what I seem to be doing, in terms of how my life is progressing, even if accidentally, seems to be correct.  No, I'm not happy.  I'm not even content.  But then, depressives don't get to be happy.  It's a dirty life, but somebody has to live it.  Apparently.  (No, I don't know why.)

No comments:

Post a Comment