Thursday, June 6, 2024

The most pedestrian-unfriendly city in the entire world - paving

We have a strata property.  There is a lovely sidewalk on the east side of the property, and a lovely sidewalk on the north side of the property.  The south and west side of our property abut lands owned by different developers.

However, where the east and north sides of our property meet (at the intersection of two streets), for the past year and a half (which is ever since the construction was completed) (well, and even really before that), there is just a bunch of loose gravel.  This loose gravel actually extends a fair way out into the streets.  And it's been that way ever since the construction was completed and we moved in.

As the only pedestrian in town, every morning I have a choice: do I walk down the middle of the street, or do I walk down the lovely sidewalk, and then have to pick my way over the loose gravel when I get to the intersection?  Most of the time I pick walking down the middle of the street.  It seems to be safer.

Well, a couple of days ago the city works people showed up!  I was terribly excited!  At last they were going to finish the corner of the sidewalk!  I was interested to see how well they would do with putting in a wheelchair ramp at the corner!

And then they left.  Having done, as far as I could tell, absolutely nothing.  And then I noticed that the outer reaches of one corner of the loose gravel had been filled.  Sort of.  They put an asphalt patch, abutting the asphalt on the road, but simply filling with asphalt a pothole that had been there for quite some time.  It seemed a pretty pointless exercise.

Oh ho!  But not so fast!  Today, they were back!  And they built the corner sidewalk!

Out of asphalt.

(While dictating this, Gboard decided that I had said "assholes."  I hadn't, but it was an oddly appropriate error.)

So, we have two lovely concrete sidewalks, joined with a bunch of asphalt.

Oh, but not so fast!  They don't have two sidewalks joined with asphalt!  The two sidewalks *aren't*, in fact, joined!

(Let's see some wheelchair-bound person use *that*!)

Like I keep saying, Port Alberni is the most pedestrian-unfriendly city in the entire world ...

No comments:

Post a Comment