Saturday, June 15, 2024

Mail as reminder

I tend to keep my email messages as a reminder.  A reminder of things that I may want to refer to later, or a reminder of things that I want to get done.  Maybe not exactly a to-do list, but things that I should think about doing, or taking on as projects.  Sometimes I keep stuff in email that I am working on, but haven't completed.  And, of course, very often when it is completed, I don't necessarily go back and delete the reminder.

So, of course, occasionally I have to go back and make sure that I have deleted stuff that I have dealt with, and clean out my email.  I've actually got two backups in this regard: the email account which I currently use the most, and which is web-based (which is not my preference, but a couple of moves, and required changes of ISP, meant that I had to change the way that I do my email).  I leave a fair amount of stuff in there.  I should probably take more care about cleaning that out, because the web-based account means that other systems tied to this account (like the online drive, which I use for transferring the video files for the CISSP seminar) can get pretty close to the quota sometimes.  But that's because of the video files, and the email files, even with at least three years worth of email in it, still gets nowhere near the quota.

But I have also set up a secondary backup for email, which uses my original and preferred email user agent, and is, therefore, sitting on my home computer.  I also back this up regularly, so I've got backups of backups.  (But, as I always say in business continuity planning, redundant backup is never redundant when you need it.)

Anyway, I was going through this, older, backup file email system, trying to make sure that I was cleaning up things, and, actually, starting at about the time that I moved to Port Alberni.  It was interesting to see stuff that I still *do* want to keep, for no particular reason, and also getting rid of things which referred to projects which I had completed, and didn't even remember that I had completed.  I did find a couple of references that could be useful for a current project, and I'll be dealing with them later.  I've sent myself an email to remind myself to do that.

But I also found something, from about three months after I got here, that I probably need to work on.  So I'll be working on that.  And, like I say, the redundant back up here, which most people would think completely ridiculous, is not redundant if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment