Saturday, January 20, 2024

Help ...

[...], thank you for your follow-up email, and for your follow-up phone call, more recently.  I apologize for the terse nature of my initial response to your email, but this entire episode has been very frustrating.  As it concerns mental health, I can't help but think that situations similar to mine must be happening to those who are possibly least able to address their needs and issues.

I am currently under treatment for depression, which is possibly related to grief over the death of my wife.  However, I have suffered from depression for more than fifty years, on a cyclical basis.  Currently I am suffering the deepest depression that I have had since before I was married, and the longest uninterrupted cycle of depression in my entire life.  Apparently my depression is characterized as treatment resistant.  I am on an antidepressant, the second to be tried in the past year (and fifth overall, with none showing any benefit), as well as sporadic meetings with a psychiatrist, and more regular visits with the [...] office.

My initial concern, prompting the contact with your office, was with regard to the gap and sudden cessation in follow-up calls from the [...] office.  Subsequently, it has been agreed that I will drop into the office on a weekly basis.

I am, of course, well aware of the financial, and personnel, limitations of medical care here in Port Alberni.  I am currently awaiting tests, and an MRI, and know that I am fortunate in actually having a GP.  I understand that the initial problem with [...] office failing to contact me was due to a staffing issue.  However, there was no contact or explanation, at the time, and no notice to myself of the situation.  There was no information about the fact that they were under pressure because of lack of personnel, and no other attempts to contact me, or to suggest any alternatives in this situation.  At the time, when I went to the [...] office and tried to raise the issue, the only response I got was being handed the "concerned about the quality of your care" pamphlet, which prompted my initial contact with your office.  I understand that your office is probably limited, and doubt that any improvement will result from this contact, but I felt that I should give you the details of the situation.  I do not know what to ask for in terms of help because, of course, I have no idea what your office *can* do.  I thought I was asking for help in turning to the medical system in the first place.

As noted, I am aware of the considerable constraints on the medical system throughout the province, and particularly in regard to Island Health, and specifically in Port Alberni.  However, this entire experience has been extremely frustrating.  I have been in depression for almost a year now, without any kind of relief, and under treatment for eight months, again without any relief.  It is extremely hard to keep faith in the medical system in this situation, and it is difficult to stay motivated to follow through with the prescribed process, when the system itself seems to keep breaking down.

No comments:

Post a Comment