Saturday, December 2, 2023

Gluten-free

Today, I had yet another person advise me that going gluten-free would cure my depression.

I've heard that before.

I definitely know that the gastrointestinal system and mental activity is fairly intimately (and weirdly) connected.  And if going gluten-free has cured your, your grandson's, your good friend's, your sister's depression, ADHD, autism, or cancer, I'm very happy for you (or them).  Same goes for oil of oregano, St. John's Wort, and melatonin.

I'm pretty sure I can say, with reasonable confidence, that it isn't going to work for me.

You see, I *have* gone gluten-free at various times.  Recently, with my ridiculous diet, there are many times that I have gone weeks without eating any bread, flour, wheat, or even grains of any kind.  And it hasn't resulted in any improvements.

It's pretty much the same for a number of other recommended diets.  I have gone weeks without any meat.  I have gone weeks without processed foods.  At one point I had so little salt in my diet that I actually had to start consciously thinking about putting it *back*.

And I'm still depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment