Wednesday, February 21, 2024

MGG - 2.7 - Teaching - Rob's Universal Classroom

I love teaching.  I take every chance to teach in whatever job I'm in.  I love presenting at conferences, which I see as just another form or level of teaching.  I see writing as primarily a form of teaching, although it's not as much fun, since you don't get as much feedback.

(And now I'm here in a town where there are no intellectual pursuits, because there are no intellectuals to pursue them.  I'm trying to find, and even create, opportunities to teach, but so far without success.)

When Gloria asked me about something, when I would start to answer, she would sometimes stop me and say, "You're in lecture mode."  Apparently I do this automatically, when I think it's a teaching situation.  Among other things, my voice gets louder, and this is what she was objecting to.

One time we were with a couple of the grandkids, and some of their friends.  During the conversation, one of the friends made an offhand comment.  I noted that what he'd said wasn't quite correct.  He was interested, and so I started to explain.  Behind me, I could hear Gloria saying to Number Two Daughter, "See?  There's Rob, and his universal classroom."

No comments:

Post a Comment