Monday, October 14, 2024

MGG - 5.33 - HWYD - Houston, we have a zero

My baby sister married a guy whose job is fairly specialized, and there are only a few companies in the world who can employ him.  Fortunately for them, these companies are located in exotic areas of the world, and so they have lived in all kinds of places around the world.

Twice I have been able to visit them while I was out teaching.  The first time was in Houston Texas.  I had a lot of fun with my nephews, including reading "Where the Wild Things Are" to them.  The thing was, that the copy of "Where the Wild Things Are" that they had was in German.  While I know some words of German, there is absolutely no way that I could get through an entire book, even a children's book.  However, since "Where the Wild Things Are" is a favorite of children around the world, our grandchildren had been very interested in it.  Therefore, I had the English text pretty much memorized.  So I would just flip the pages, be reminded of the point in the story that we were dealing with because of the illustrations on the page, and recite, from memory, the English text of the story.

As I say, in this instance I was teaching in Houston, Texas.  Houston is on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.  Therefore, most of the time, it has a fairly sub-tropical climate.  But this was in January, and Houston had a cold snap.  The temperature did, in fact, fall to the freezing point: 0° C (celsius), or, as the Americans would say, 32° F (fahrenheit).

So it is, literally, freezing.  In fact, it was snowing.  Very lightly, but snowing.  I was not particularly concerned about either the fact that it was freezing; because of course it was only just freezing; or the fact that it was snowing.  I was in shirt-sleeves, running back and forth from my rental car to the venue and bringing in all the necessary materials.  All the Texans, of course, were showing up wearing every single scarf and sweater that they owned, with whatever kind of warm hat they might own.  Shivering and complaining all the while.

Previous: https://fibrecookery.blogspot.com/2024/10/mgg-543-hwyd-brazil-and-astronauts.html

Introduction and ToC: https://fibrecookery.blogspot.com/2023/10/mgg-introduction.html

Next: TBA

No comments:

Post a Comment