Monday, August 14, 2023

Science versus religion

Some people think that science and religion are opposed.

I think that only scientists can really belive in God.

After all, as scientists we are asked to believe all kinds of things that civilians find really hard to fathom.  We have to believe in quantum mechanics.  We have to believe that a photon is both a particle; a point event with a specific location; and a wave; a distribution of a field of force about which it gets harder to say anything about it's location the more you know about how it is moving.

So, believing that a photon is *both* a wave and a particle?  Yeah, I can believe that.  Believing that a bit is both one *and* zero (and everything in between), and you don't know it with finality until you observe it?  Yeah, I can believe that.  Believing that Jesus is *both* fully God and fully man, and that I won't understand how that works until I die?  Yeah, I can believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment