Thursday, January 27, 2022

Sleep, again

Sleep is still, somewhat, an issue.  It probably will be for a while.

My doctor suggesteed I try some of Gloria's sleeping pills.  I hadn't turned them back in at the pharmacy, and, in fact, had tried them out.  I'd taken, on twwo different occasions, half a pill.  They didn't seem to do anything except leave a bad taste in my mouth.  (Literally.)  So, I tried a full pill.  No more sleep, and the bad taste was even stronger.  (All the next day, drinking water tasted weird.)

She also suggested that I try Gloria's antidepressant, which I also hadn't turned back in.  This particular antidepressant is particularly used for treating insomnia in depression.  So, I've tried a low dose, and it does seem to work.  Sort of.  I'm still not getting even eight hours a night, but, instead of getting one night of four hours and then one night of seven hours, I'm getting seven or seven and a half hours of sleep pretty much every night.

My doctor had said that, if the low dose (50) didn't work, to try a higher dose (100).  I might try that option, but I may leave it a few days.  For one thing, I'm possibly seeing some side effects.  It's a bit early to say that they are definitely related to the antidepressant, but I'm getting a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (not as strong as with the sleeping pill, but very similar taste), and I'm also feeling restless, and, at the same time, rather lethargic.  I had some time, in between two Zoom meetings yesterday, and could have finished off the last month of accounts from 2021.  Instead I watched three movies.  (All on high speed.)  (On the other hand, at least I didn't fall asleep or doze off during any of them.)  (I also snacked a lot, and I'll definitely have to watch that.)

But, it could simply have been an off day.  I'm bereaved, I'm possibly depressed, I may simply have had an off day.  On the other hand, the next two days, coming up, are not going to be stellar.  Today I am fasting, first because I have to walk up to the lab and do bloodwork, and later because, immediately after that, I have to take the first of two doses of pico salax for my colonoscopy tomorrow (which means I shouldn't be more than fifty feet from a toilet for the rest of the day).  And then, of course, Friday is the colonoscopy.  And then Saturday is going to be busy as well, if the sedation from the colonoscopy allows ...

No comments:

Post a Comment